Grand Knight’s Blog – June 2020
Our next meeting is Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. This meeting will be conducted by video conference in accordance with the Resolution of the Supreme Council on the Covid-19 pandemic. We are switching to Zoom this month to see if it is better than ezTalks, which several people had trouble with. The quick link to join the meeting is here, and more detailed instructions are printed below:
A password is required on all Zoom meetings now, and the password is: kc81
Activities Since Last Meeting
- Parking Lot Ushers. Several Knights turned out to “Usher” in the parking lot during Sunday Masses, including Mike Cahill, Deacon Elcio dos Santos, and Mike Gibson with Robin and Bethany. Thanks for your help! There is an ongoing need for upcoming Masses, and a link to the sign up sheet is posted on the Council’s Home Page.
- Deacon Elcio Takes 3rd In light of the impossibility of gathering in person to conduct exemplification ceremonies during the pandemic, Supreme has designed a new online method. Congratulations to Deacon Elcio dos Santos for being our first Knight to participate in the online exemplification ceremony and becoming Council #81’s newest 3rd Degree Knight!
- Rest in Peace PGK Cliff Avey. Clifford O. Avey, 89, passed away last Wednesday, June 3rd after fighting a strong battle with the Covid-19 virus. Cliff was widely known in Marlboro as City Tax Collector and Treasurer for over 22 years, and the General Manager of St. Mary’s Credit Union for more than 10 years during the time of its greatest growth. Many St. Mary’s customers got far more than loans from Cliff, but also his grandfatherly advice about responsible household finances. He was an active member of St. Mary’s Church until it closed, and was on the board of the Historical Society. He was honored by the Mayor in 2013 as a Marlborough Heritage Hero. He was a Korean War Veteran. His wife Rose died in 2016. His services will be private in light of the pandemic, and a scholarship fund has been started in him memory.
Programs and Upcoming Events
- Elections this month. According to our bylaws, the annual elections of offices takes place at the June meeting. The nomination committee has proposed the following slate of officers for election or re-election:
Grand Knight: Mike Tremblay
Deputy Grand Knight: Neil Cronin
Chancellor: Andy Tivnan
Recorder: Dale Dolesh
Treasurer: John Dedecko
Advocate Mike Bleecker
Warden: Mike Cahill
Inside Guard: Paul Cote
Outside Guard: Rich Pulice
Trustee, 3 Year: Rafael Johnson
Trustee, 2 Year: Rich Kearns
Trustee, 1 Year: Mike FallonAddititional nominations may be made from the floor.
Other Meeting Agenda Items
- Other business? If you have an item to add to the agenda, please let me know.
If you have any news to report, email GrandKnight@kofcmarlboro.org.
Mike Tremblay, GK
Zoom Video Conferencing Instructions:
You can participate with a desktop computer, laptop, smartphone, or a plain old fashioned telephone (but, of course, you will not be able to see others and they will not see you).
You may wish to start logging in at least 5 minutes before the meeting to get set up if you have never used Zoom before.
Please click: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/78059592885
You may be prompted to enter a meeting number (It should appear automatically, but if not, enter the 11-digit meeting identifier in the above link, i.e., 78059592885). This will be our permanent meeting number for all Council meetings and business, so you can bookmark it.
Enter the name you wish to appear as to other participants. You can use a nickname. Don’t pick “Mike.”
If this is your first time using Zoom, you will be prompted to install and open the Zoom Launcher, a small app. Just click the link to open Zoom launcher.
Make sure your camera lens isn’t covered with duct tape and your microphone and camera are turned on.
ONCE YOU ARE IN THE ezTALKS MEETING APP:
If you can’t see or hear yourself, look in the lower left corner of the app to see if you have “Video” or “Audio” icons with a red stripe, like this:
If so, just click the “Video” or “Audio” icons to turn on your camera and microphone.
If you click “Participants” on the bottom menu bar, you can see a list of other participants logged on to the meeting.
If you have a question, you can click “Chat” and send a little note to the meeting administrator without interrupting the whole meeting. Good for dumb questions.
If you are hopelessly technologically challenged, you may join the meeting by calling in by telephone. Just dial 888-788-0099 or 877-853-5247 and enter the meeting id at the prompt (78059592885) followed by the # key. You can enter a numeric participant i.d., like your favorite number (777#) and others will be able to identify you.