Our next meeting is Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 7:30 p.m.
St. Mary’s Chapel (lower church) at Immaculate Conception. Doors open at 7:00.
Activities Since Last Meeting
- I.C. Chair Project. The chairs are gone and the upper church is almost 100% re-pewed. The kneelers are not in yet, so your benevolent Grand Knight hereby grants you a dispensation from kneeling for another week or so.
- Superbowl Pool. The Superbowl pool earned $620 for the council. Congrats to DGK Neil Cronin who hit the first quarter on both the $10 pool and the $20 pool. And congrats to GK Mike Tremblay (i.e., me) who got the zero-zero squares on the $20 pool and won two quarters in a row thanks to a 10-10 first quarter and 20-10 second quarter. Prize money will be settled up and paid out at the February meeting.
- R.I.P. Christie Rembetsy. Money continued to trickle in until about two weeks ago, so we will discuss how to apply it as Christie would have wished. We have $617.20 in the “125” account ($625 less PayPal charges).
- I. C. Trivia night. We fielded two tables on Saturday Feb. 8th, but sadly we did not live up to our expectations. Our top table got 56 points but the winning team got 64. Congratulations to that team which was captained by Phillip Cosby, who defected from the Knights’ team this year to field a family team now that he’s an officer of the I.C. School Parent’s Association.
Programs and Upcoming Events
- Polar Plunge — February 15. The Polar Plunge is next Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. at Special Olympics. We have six volunteers to help out. We will be doing registration, welcoming, and general all-around helping during the event. Most of the “plungers” will be law enforcement officers from around the state who have sponsorship and are raising lots of money for Special Olympics. Come by and see it if you can’t volunteer for the whole period. Volunteer registration is closed because Special Olympics has to get us CORI’d.
- Free Throw Championship – February 22. After some fits and starts, the Free Throw Championship has been rescheduled and is on for Saturday, February 22, 2020 at the Special Olympics Gym. DGK Neil Cronin is our program captain. We have trophies and medals ready to go, and some help from the Northborough and Westborough councils coming to teach us the way. We already have players signing up on the website. If you have kids, neighborhood kids, nieces or nephews, grandchildren, Boys and Girls 9-14 sign them up!Note to volunteers: We have 10 volunteers signed up so far, but a couple more wouldn’t hurt. Sign up on our website (kofcmarlboro.org) under “Events” and “Sign up here!”If you signed up when it was scheduled for the 8th, but can’t make the new date (the 22nd) please let me know and I will take you off the list. So far we have #1: Jonathan R. #2: Timothy G. #3: Paul C. #4: Richard K. #5: Mike B. #6: Kevin A. #7: Michael C. #8: Mike W #9 Mike T #10 John D
- Program leader training. Some of our Program Leaders did not complete the mandatory “Safe Environment” training which is available online from Supreme. This is really important this year since we are now running a youth program – the Free Throw Championship. So please, if you got an email reminder, please log on and take the course. It takes less than an hour, and it does provide you with useful information. If your log in and password have expired, please email our worthy Financial Secretary Mike Wells (FinancialSecretary@kofcmarlboro.org) and he will set you up with a new appointment and log in credentials.
- Rosary before Meetings. Mike Bleecker has offered to lead a half-hour session praying the Rosary before our meetings in the I.C. Lower Church. Unfortunately, he’s away this week and won’t make this month’s meeting. However, he wanted me to let you all know it’s on for March. If you are interested, arrive around 6:50 p.m., and the group will assemble behind the divider in the pew area, and pray until the meeting starts at 7:30. The rest of you, please filter in quietly. Those interested and anybody willing to help out (i.e., filling in for Mike) please give Mike an email, email@example.com.
- Delta Program. This month state membership director Ed Hebert will join us to introduce the Delta Program, a new method of conducting membership church drives.
- State Raffle Tickets. Grand Knight will have state raffle tickets at the meeting.
- We received a request for a transfer from Holliston, Michael Michielli, which is in process. Last month we processed two transfer-in forms from Jon Rabidou and Mike Dolan.
Other Meeting Agenda Items
- Dues Reminder. Just a reminder you can pay your dues online (kofcmarlboro.org) just click on “Members” and there’s a credit card payment form. And while you’re there, click on the “Members Update” form and let us know if you have changed your address, phone number, email, etc.
- Social Night Out. We are still kicking around the idea of a social night out with wives and families. Anyone interested in exploring this endeavor, please let me know.
- Departed Knights Mass and Reception. We are still discussing this event. Anyone interested in taking the lead on this, please let me know.
- Sightings. Fr. Marc Bishop and Fr. Mike McEwen were both back in town on Sunday for the wake of Jaimie Goliger, long time member of the I.C. Choir, former employee at the lower school, and the mother of three kids who graduated from I.C. School. She was very well known in the community as a principal dance teacher at Ceil Sharon’s Dance Studios for many years. She was also my second cousin. Very tragic, only 54 years old. I got to talk to Fr. Marc and Fr. Mike both for a while. Fr. Marc looks good and complained that his cook, Kathy Ireland, is smothering him in kale and gluten free this and that. He came back again on Monday to say the Funeral Mass. Fr. Mike was a little pale and gaunt and is in the middle of chemo, but in spite of those challenges, looked good and was in very good spirits. He had just come from teaching an adult CCD class. He’s been fighting this illness off for two years, but he’s still walking around and working. Remember him in your prayers.
If you have any news to report, email GrandKnight@kofcmarlboro.org.
Mike Tremblay, GK