A message from Supreme Knight Carl Anderson:
It has been nearly 50 years since “Surge with Service” was introduced as our program
model. Although Surge has served us well through the years, in order to simplify our
program structure and better align programs under main priority areas, I am pleased to
announce a new program model titled “Faith in Action” that will take effect with the 2018-
2019 fraternal year.
This model is an evolution of the Building the Domestic Church While Strengthening
Our Parishes initiative that was introduced in November 2015. It embodies a simplified
overall program structure featuring four instead of six categories so as to foster greater
understanding and implementation of programs at the council level.
Key points regarding the updated program model are:
- Faith in Action will be the new umbrella for all Supreme Council recommended programs, replacing Surge with Service.
- The new program categories will be: Faith, Family, Community and Life.
- Councils should appoint a Faith Director, Family Director, Community Director and Life Director.
(Councils will no longer need to appoint a Youth Director and Council Director).
- Building the Domestic Church programs will be integrated into the new Faith in Action framework.
- The new model will reduce the number of programs required to earn the Columbian Award to four
- Programs in four categories totaling 16 programs (instead of 24 programs across six categories).
- All current Supreme Council priority programs will continue.
- Nine new Supreme Council priority programs will be introduced.
In the coming weeks, the Fraternal Mission Department will send you and your
leadership team further information explaining the Faith in Action program model.
Please work with your Membership and Program Consultants to promote this new
program model among your state, district and council leadership so as to maximize
participation at every level of the Order.
Thank you in advance for your support of this effort to prepare the Knights of Columbus
for an even greater future ahead, as we put our faith in action.
-Carl Anderson, Supreme Knight